Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

there is a job aspect to this adventure

This is an internship, so even though it is Disney, there is work to be done.

When filling out the application, you list all the different jobs you would be willing to take. You know, the ones that you would enjoy doing almost everyday for a few months. There are a ton of options, both on and off stage. In fact, here's a list:

Onstage Roles
  • Attractions
  • Bell Services/Dispatch
  • Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Hostess
  • Concierge
  • Character Attendant
  • Custodial
  • Full Service Food and Beverage (Hey that's me)
  • Hopper
  • Hospitality
  • Housekeeping
  • Lifeguard
  • Main Entrance Operations
  • Merchandise
  • PhotoPass Photographer
  • Quick-Service Food and Beverage
  • Recreation
  • Resort Hopper
  • Transportation
  • Vacation Planner
And the Backstage Roles....
  • Costuming
  • Quick-Service Restaurant-Kitchen Only
Instead of being called an employee, we are cast members, and the jobs are called roles. I know, the awesomeness that is Disney. It's all apart of the magic. There are two types of roles: onstage and offstage. The onstage roles are the ones that involve interaction with the guests, since it's like we're on stage. The offstage roles involve little to no guest interaction.

Me being me, I knew I wanted an onstage role. I mean really... think about it for a minute. If you know me at all, you know I would pick onstage. Anyways, like I said, you list the roles you would enjoy on your application. I think I listed Attractions, Character Attendant, Merchandise, Hospitality, Recreation, Lifeguard, Main Entrance Operations, Full Service Food and Beverage, and Quick-Service Food and Beverage. Yeah, my list was long, but hey, I'm flexible. During the interview they ask you to talk about a few of them. You know, why you want that role, why you would be good at it, etc...

I ended up getting one of the roles I talked about, Full Service Food and Beverage. I think I also talked about attractions and merchandise... but I really don't remember. That was back in April, and I really don't remember half of what was talked about because I was a tad bit nervous for the interview.

What is FSFB you wonder? Here is a list of the responsibilities:
  • Greeting and seating guests
  • Managing a seat chart and resolving Guest situations
  • Using a computerized reservation/seating system
  • Cash handling
  • Rolling silverware, folding napkins, keeping area stocked
  • Light cleaning, multi-tasking
  • Standing for long periods of time
So nothing to really do with polymer and fiber engineering (my major), but I'm still super excited. I even started to try and find a list of the different places I could work. And I found one!


Well, at least I think I did. It looks like I could be working at one of these places, one of the sit-down style restaurants. And I'm really wondering what my costume is going to look like. That will be exciting.








No comments:

Post a Comment